Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

Default impact wrench

I had a HF cheapo that worked for most things, but would not loosen lug nuts
for anything. It was rated at "Max 260 Foot Pounds of torque". After a few
years, I gave it to my son and bought a used Ingersol Rand wrench that was
rated at "450 Foot Pounds". Same thing. I took the IR apart, figuring that
something must be wrong inside, but it was clean as a whistle with no
apparent wear. The only thing I can figure out is that I have too much hose
on my shop setup. Either wrench was fine for tightening lug nuts up, but
neither would loosen them. I always have to use a breaker bar. I was
really surprised that the IR wouldn't work better.

wrote in message
oups.com...
habbi wrote:
I have what I thought was a decent quality cambell hausfeld 1/2" gun
which
is rated at 380 ftlbs. All fitting are 1/4" M style and hose is 25' 3/8"
ID.
It will not remove my lug nuts from my chev 1/2 ton truck. I tried
pressures
from 90 up to 120 psi with no luck. It removed a few of them but some
will
not loosen at all. I am using 1/2" drive impact sockets as well. Anyway
are
these guns over rated, it is made in Taiwan. I noticed some ingersoll
rand
and even sears brands rated up to 600-700 ftlbs, is this what I need. I
tried a friends Chicago pneumatic and it would not spin the nuts either.
Also there is an Allen set screw type plug in the side of the gun and it
says oil, how do you know how much to put in? Thanks

Having used Campbell Hausfeld exclusively for a couple of years, I just
bought an Ingersoll Rand 231HA. Now everything I tighten turns into
shrapnel. Still learning how suddenly important the power control knob
is.
my advice is to go he
http://robertstool.com:8091/index.pl/ira
and spend 97.00 on one vs. 45.00 for the CH, you're getting 5 times the
gun and power.