Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default ball-type faucet repair and silicone lubricant

Scot wrote:
So I bought a repair kit for my Delta ball-type kitchen faucet. After
replacing the O-rings, I sprayed some silicon lubricant on a rag and
applied some to the O-rings. I also decided to do this to both of
the new valve seats (sprayed lubricant on the rag and applied to
them), thinking that they were rubber and were going to have wear
from the ball and handle. Then it dawned on me that the drinking
water was coming through there, what an idiot!! I removed the valve
seats and springs and ran them under hot water and paper towel dried
them, also applying a paper towel into the openings in the faucet to
grab anything else up. After re-assembling the faucet, I ran the hot
water and then the cold water for a few minutes to try and clear
anything out.
Now I know that silicone lubricant is not water soluble, so rinsing
off may not have removed it all. The drinking water that comes from
this faucet does go through a Brita filter first before consumption.
Anything really to be worried about?

Thanks,

Scott

I can't tell you how good or bad it may be to drink the silicone lube,
but I do suggest not using lubes or other materials anywhere in the water
system unless it is specifically recommended by the manufacturer of the
hardware. Funny things happen when mixing materials and usually they are
not good. What might seem like a good idea (If it moves lube it) may not be
if the lube reacts with the specific type of material in the parts, like
washers, which may be made out of many different kinds of materials.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit