Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Hill

Default =winter storm questions=

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:31:05 GMT, "long eddy" wrote:

House:
Oil burner
Baseboard hot water

---------------------------------------

Leaving for Florida and our house is located in the northeast where the
temperatures are now below freezing.

We would like to leave the electric on since this house is due to be sold
within the next 4 to 6 weeks and the buyers will want a walk-through with
the electric on, the water on and the oil burner on.

We will drop the thermosat to 50 to 55 degrees for the next 4 to 6 weeks to
conserve oil since nobody will be there.

We were thinking of draining the water from the pipes so that they do not
freeze - but what would happen if the oil burner calls for water to heat the
house?

Sounds like a bad plan. Also check your home-owners policy to see
what it says about unoccupied houses.