Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

Default Metal Building vs. Framed Workshop

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
Hiya folks,
Getting the gears going regarding building a shop next year. I'm looking
at something in the 900 to 1000 SF range. Aside from the cost of
concrete, which is cheaper---going with a metal building (prefab) or
conventional framing? I would do all the work myself regardless of
which one I went with so am just curious to know from any contractors out
there. I would probably forego the walls on a metal building as I will
more than likely frame and stucco (or maybe use adobe) them myself.
Thanks very much for any advice.
Cheers,
cc

Metal is cheaper and easier to erect. Here in So.Cal,the weather cooperates
nicely for a metal roof. It would not be my choice in any case. They tend
to leak and are noisy. You can insulate them for hot or cold but IMHO they
still look cheap. If you are building a dedicated shop, build a wood
building with a high ceiling and wood floor (over a concrete slab).

Dave

http://www.usenet.com