Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Keith Young

Default Help

Ye guys are great and I'm learning. I'm starting to notice a real
improvement already,

Keith

"Chris van Aar" wrote in message
t.nl...
Keith,

I like to use the dark red alumium oxide paper waterproof, starting with
nr 100, then 150, 220 and ending with 320or 400. Even on wet wood this
works quite well, because its special for wood and you can clean it. I'm
cleaning it in 2 different ways: by tapping it unfolded with its back on
the bed of my lathe, so the bigger spots of wet dust wil jump of. The
other way is by putting them overnight in a bucket of water. the next day
the will be clean and you can dry them by hanging them with clothes-pegs.
Just a dutch way of doing things.

Dutchturner Chris.
"Keith Young" schreef in bericht
.. .
Hi All!

Would somebody tell me the proper techniques for obtaining a silk finish
on wood turnings! Am I not been patience enough. I never seem to be able
to obtain a really perfect sand finish. It is just a matter of starting
with a 100 grit or so and advancing to 400 or more? My sand paper clots
at grits over 250. Do you clean the sandpaper? Will a water paper help.
What are the advantages od water paper over regular. Its wood I'm sanding
not metal.

Help
Please

Keith