Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon

Default impact wrench

"ATP*" wrote in message

2.Using anti seize is not to be used because it can cause the lug nuts
to come loose and I have seen it happen

It reduces the required torque but will not cause the nuts to come loose.
Obviously there are plenty of applications that have lubricants on the
threads and the nuts don't spin off. Quite a few tire mechanics use
anti-seize on truck studs and the wheels aren't flying off all over the
nation's highways. When the nut is torqued, the stud is elongated and the
resulting tension is what keeps the lugnut on, not the friction against
the
threads.

Indeed. Ive been using anti-sieze for well over 40 yrs..and in all
that time, on all manner of rolling stock..have never had a loose lug
nut that was caused by anti- sieze. And my 110lb wife of 30 yrs can
change any tire with a 4 way without flagging down a crew wagon.

Gunner

The best tire shop I know uses it, and the owner's been installing tires
and racing for a long time. All other things being equal though, lubricant
on the studs is going to reduce the coefficient of friction and it would
be easier for the nut to loosen. However I think most vehicles are
designed with enough to spare that even with the reduced torque the nuts
are not coming off on their own. If they are marginally engineered dry
might be the only option.

one time i had a problem with the brake drums on my nissan pick up sticking
SO tightly, instead of wailing on them with a sledge hammer to get them off,
i cut them in half with an angle grinder to get them off. determined to
never have that happen again i put silicone gasket sealer on the mating
surfaces, figured it would be a bad idea to put anti-seize or grease on a
brake drum. it seemed to work ok the next time i had to take the brake
drums off. (i also tapped two holes into the drum to run two bolts into to
push against the axle and act like a "remover") i'm wondering if instead of
grease or anti-seize would it be acceptable to use silicone gasket sealer on
the lug nuts/studs so it won't "lubricate" the bolts but would, hopefully,
keep the water out to prevent corrosion.

b.w.