Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jerry Foster

Default HF Mill/Drill

"John" wrote in message
Does anyone have any experience with the HF Mill #33686-4VGA? Thanks..John

I used a similar (maybe identical) HF machine for several years before I got
my Bridgeport. Now, the transition was like swapping a battered Chevy for a
Cadillac. Nonetheless, a battered Chevy will get you where you need to
go...

My HF machine had a power X-axis, which is well worth it. Another trick you
need to do to make it a viable machine is to make some brackets to which you
can easily attach dial indicators. You can't trust the scales on the
machine (not even on a good machine). And it is difficult (and expensive)
to put a DRO on a mill-drill. You don't need expensive dial indicators,
either. Most of the time, you just need to be able to return the table to a
specific position. Or, you make a rough cut, measure it with a caliper and
adjust the table a few thou for the final cut.

When you buy an HF (or similar) machine, you can expect to do a little
"cleaning up" on it. The finish is never the greatest. I have bought a lot
of "stuff" from HF over the years and, while a few things have been junk,
most of it has proven to be very satisfactory. One rule I live by is to
never buy anything from HF with an edge on it, because it won't retain it
for long.

Another thing you will quickly learn is that you can't even drive past a
tool store without you wallet automatically emptying. But, have faith.
Eventually you will accumulate a set of tools that will do what you need
(different people have different needs, so it is hard to predict what yours
might be...) and the outgo slows down dramatically...

Another tip on these small machines: Some are called "milling and drilling"
machines, others are "drilling and milling" machines. The latter are
glorified drill presses that can do "some" light milling. The former are
more like "real" mills. ALL machines (even the best) are basically made of
Jello and the lighter ones are made of WARM Jello... Although I don't see
them on the current web site, HF normally carries several similar machines,
ranging from light duty to heavier ones. I would definitely put the extra
bucks into the big fellow...

Jerry