Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Chris van Aar

Default Help

Keith,

I like to use the dark red alumium oxide paper waterproof, starting with nr
100, then 150, 220 and ending with 320or 400. Even on wet wood this works
quite well, because its special for wood and you can clean it. I'm cleaning
it in 2 different ways: by tapping it unfolded with its back on the bed of
my lathe, so the bigger spots of wet dust wil jump of. The other way is by
putting them overnight in a bucket of water. the next day the will be clean
and you can dry them by hanging them with clothes-pegs.
Just a dutch way of doing things.

Dutchturner Chris.
"Keith Young" schreef in bericht
.. .
Hi All!

Would somebody tell me the proper techniques for obtaining a silk finish
on wood turnings! Am I not been patience enough. I never seem to be able
to obtain a really perfect sand finish. It is just a matter of starting
with a 100 grit or so and advancing to 400 or more? My sand paper clots at
grits over 250. Do you clean the sandpaper? Will a water paper help. What
are the advantages od water paper over regular. Its wood I'm sanding not
metal.

Help
Please

Keith