Posted to rec.woodworking
John

Default Home Made Lathe

Hi,

Another fellow already posted a link to a steady rest.

As for your welded-on tool rest or rest-support, consider that having it
at a fixed height and/or distance from the bed is only an advantage if
you're always going to be doing the same type of turning (e.g. table
legs of a particular diameter). Otherwise, a tool rest that is
adjustable horizontally as well as vertically is of more general
utility, and one that can be moved out of the way altogether would
permit you to sand or otherwise finish your workpiece while it is still
mounted between centers (and rotating). To avoid grievous injury you
don't want to be sticking anything between a rotating workpiece and a
toolrest or fixed toolrest mount.

Let your relatives know that you'd appreciate their buying you one of
the turning books for the approaching holidays. You'll build a better
lathe as a result of it and probably avoid a visit to the emergency
room, too.

J.

Richard Holub wrote:
John,

Could you comment on this subject as far as "steady rest". My intention was
to weld a long pipe alongside the full length of the lathe. The tool rest
would flow on this pipe so that it could be adjusted to whatever size work
piece I have. Am I missing something here?