Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Default HF Mill/Drill

John,

Does anyone have any experience with the HF Mill #33686-4VGA? Thanks..John

I don't specifically know about the HF version of it, but I have that
basic machine and am extremely happy with it. IMHO, an ER collet set is
a must for a mill-drill.

Have you read through some old posts on this group? Please do so.
Those who argue in favor of knee mills have a point.

One option to consider is a mill-drill with a dovetailed column. I have
no direct knowledge of how well they work, but others here will. One
scary thought is that I saw a _minimum_ spindle/table spec on such a
machine, and IIRC, it was around 10 inches!!! Hopefully that is with
the spindle retracted, but it raises a question about whether it can
handle thin work clamped just above the table??[*] Not everything fits
in a vise, but many things do; get a good milling machine vise
regardless of the type of machine you buy.

There are also smaller knee mills, but they tend to have limited max
spindle/table clearance.

Whatever you buy, ask about the table motion per dial revolution. Mine
is 0.1 inch per turn, but some machines apparently have 0.125 inch/turn
(would drive me nuts - I think), and IIRC, some big mills have 0.2
inch/turn, which would be ok (if not better) by me, because one could
always count in tenths at have revolutions, or by two-tenths for large
movements.
[*] Please do not take my word for any of this - check the facts for
yourself.

Good luck!

Bill