Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

Default Welding "Anti-Stick"?

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 18:27:02 GMT, Max Krippler
wrote:

Hi,
Is there some compound or liquid that I can spray or rub on between
parts that will keep them from fusing from the heat of nearby welding?

I'm welding three pieces of tubing to a structure, and they have to
line up precisely, so I've got to have a shaft holding them in place.
The problem is that the heat causes the shaft to get stuck. I don't
think that I'm welding through the side (I'm quicker than that) but
something is fusing it in place. Any help for this?

It probably won't stop the sticking but a high temp anti-seize would
at least keep it from galling together when you go to take it out.

If done properly the weld won't be sticking to the shaft. However
every time you weld the tube you shrink it and pull it out of
alignment with the others. There's not really anything that can be
done about this since it's the nature of welding to shrink stuff.

The key to this job is the put the shaft in there. Lightly tack all
of the pieces in place (preferable in about 4 places 2 top and 2
bottom). Then remove the shaft and do the welding.

Afterwards if the pieces that go in the tubes are a good fit before
welding you'll likely have to ream the holes in order for them to fit
again. This is why you need some clearance on a job like this
preferably .010" or more.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm