Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default Welding "Anti-Stick"?

Max Krippler wrote:
Hi,
Is there some compound or liquid that I can spray or rub on between
parts that will keep them from fusing from the heat of nearby welding?

I'm welding three pieces of tubing to a structure, and they have to
line up precisely, so I've got to have a shaft holding them in place.
The problem is that the heat causes the shaft to get stuck. I don't
think that I'm welding through the side (I'm quicker than that) but
something is fusing it in place. Any help for this?

Are you sure the parts aren't just moving from the weld and binding on the
shaft? As opposed to actually fusing? Is your shaft reaching a welding heat?

The solution sounds simple in concept - use a different clamping scheme.

WE