Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Pulling nails out of Floor

Wayne Whitney wrote:
On 2005-12-11, Charlie S. wrote:

I used a screwdriver type tool that has a curved v-shaped claw to it.
Crowbars and hammer claws are too thick to fit beneath the nails.
Sometimes, I couldn't grab the nail and damaged the wood slightly to get at
it. Anyone recommend a less damaging method?

You could try end nippers or diagonal pliers. If there is enough
high, you could stick a thin metal plate underneath the pliers/claw so
that the tool bears on the metal plate instead of the wood floor.

And, any cosmetic substitute to using long screws other than
covering them up?

I understand there is such a thing as a "finish screw" with a very
small head, although I've never used them. You'd still want to
countersink it and putty it, but it's a smaller hole.

Unfortunately those trim screw heads will probably be smaller than the
cut nails that are there now and won't have much holding power. The
square drives are better than Philips heads, and I think they're better
looking, but they won't help with the wood damaged while pulling the
larger nail.