Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney

Default Pulling nails out of Floor

On 2005-12-11, Charlie S. wrote:

I used a screwdriver type tool that has a curved v-shaped claw to it.
Crowbars and hammer claws are too thick to fit beneath the nails.
Sometimes, I couldn't grab the nail and damaged the wood slightly to get at
it. Anyone recommend a less damaging method?

You could try end nippers or diagonal pliers. If there is enough
high, you could stick a thin metal plate underneath the pliers/claw so
that the tool bears on the metal plate instead of the wood floor.

And, any cosmetic substitute to using long screws other than
covering them up?

I understand there is such a thing as a "finish screw" with a very
small head, although I've never used them. You'd still want to
countersink it and putty it, but it's a smaller hole.

Cheers, Wayne