Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default Limed Oak Flooring

clipped
I've since had another look (no digital camera, so can't take photos)
and think that I should perhaps mix a touch of white enamel paint in
with the "two pac" varnish (Wattyl 7008) to provide a lighter
consistent finish.

Any further comments?!

Cheers,

Now it all makes sense. On this side of the world, oak and ash look and
work very much the same. They say ash has a bit more open grain.
Neither one will be a light color without putting something other than a
clear finish on them. They are my favorite woods, but for "light",
maple or birch unless you have a species down there we haven't heard of
) Liming might be the best way to get the shade you want, and it
doesn't have to be white. When I have small tasks, I mix up my own
potion. Want red paint for picture frame? Mix a little varnish and red
artist oil. A little wood stain? Linseed oil, ms and artist color.
Also have painted on faux wood grain. Fun.

How large an area are you working with? The only articles I have
"limed" are old oak bannister rails which formerly were very yellowed.
We painted the room and I used the same paint that was used on wood trim
- very light taupe semi-gloss alkyd. Mix a little mineral spirits or
turpentine, paint it on, let it sit a bit and wipe. Liming doesn work
unless there is open grain for it to settle into, and is likely to cloud
the grain a bit. I tried wood bleach once, but it had no effect. Oak
did not lighten with the product I tried. You may be happier in the
long run to choose another wood, but that is a major project. Good luck.