Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

Default Wiring question: replacing 3Ph motor w/1ph

Unfortunately, my news server didn't get the picture you posted. I went
through something similar a few years ago. I purchased a jointer that had a
3PH motor and replaced it with a single phase. In my setup, the on/off
switch ran on 24V, which required a transformer to step the 230V input
voltage down to 24V. If your transformer is like mine, I suspect you will
see a little unit in there maybe 3-4" square with inputs labeled 120, 230,
460, 475 for the various possible input voltages. Hopefully, you have an
input for 120. Mine didn't go that low and I had to replace the
transformer. If you want to send me the pic, I can try to confirm.

Todd

"Lenny" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:02:42 -0800, "Wood Butcher"
wrote:

Yes, definitely use it. If you have a power failure which then
comes back on the controller will not power up the motor
until you hit the start button.

L1 & L2 go to the 115V power plug
T1 & T2 go to the motor.
Be sure to adjust the tap on the transformer for 115V.

Art

Art, Thanks for your reply !
To furthur prove my ignorance; Can you explain 'adjusting the tap on
the transformer', starting with "where the transformer IS" ?
Thanks again,
Lenny

"Lenny" wrote in message
news
I recently acquired a Rockwell 46-525 wood lathe and am in the process
of replacing the 3 phase motor with a new single phase 1 Hp that will
for now will run on 110.
The original 3 phase motor was hooked up through a three phase motor
starter with slow start. I've posted a pic of the wiring diagram on
ABPW. My question is : Can I (or should I ) hook the new motor up
using this panel for the sake of the slow start or am I
misinterpreting what the slow start means. Any suggestions on how to
proceed would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lenny