Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default impact wrench

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:46:37 -0500, "ATP*"
wrote:

"habbi" wrote in message
I have what I thought was a decent quality cambell hausfeld 1/2" gun which
is rated at 380 ftlbs. All fitting are 1/4" M style and hose is 25' 3/8"
ID.
It will not remove my lug nuts from my chev 1/2 ton truck. I tried
pressures
from 90 up to 120 psi with no luck. It removed a few of them but some will
not loosen at all. I am using 1/2" drive impact sockets as well. Anyway
are
these guns over rated, it is made in Taiwan. I noticed some ingersoll rand
and even sears brands rated up to 600-700 ftlbs, is this what I need. I
tried a friends Chicago pneumatic and it would not spin the nuts either.
Also there is an Allen set screw type plug in the side of the gun and it
says oil, how do you know how much to put in? Thanks

Campbell Hausfeld is trash, but the problem may actually be in your impact
sockets. If they are cheesy and whored out so that they do not fit tightly
on the lugnuts the play will suck the power of the impact gun up and even a
good impact gun will not perform well. A cheap impact gun should take
lugnuts off a 1/2 ton truck with no problem if the socket is good.

Always hold the socket tight against against the flats of the nut in
the direction you are wanting to spin it. This Sometimes helps.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner