Posted to alt.home.repair
crmay

Default Limed Oak Flooring

Hi,

Thanks for the responses!

Ok... two pac is.. well I guess my term for paint consisting of two
parts, something like an epoxy resin you would use for glue. If
there's a better term for this let me know.

I live in Australia and have installed "tasmainian oak" flooring, which
everyone tells me is really victorain ask, though the receipt reads
"oak" and that's how I would prefer to address it =)

You can read about the timber grading on the website:
http://www.tastimber.tas.gov.au/

But to sum-up the term "feature" means that the timber contains clearly
visible imperfections like sapwood and other "features" like pen marks
and dead borer channels.
Select grade is the highest, whereby the timber doesn't contain any
"features"
High feature is the worst grade used by either the tragically poor, or
the "shabby chic".

Most of the pictures that you see on the tasmanian oak website show
"select" grade flooring. Feature grade on the other hand contains gum
veins, or sapwood. When you paint sapwood, it turns a very dark
colour, that in general probably increases the general darkness of the
floor.

My understanding of "liming" is that the timber has a wiped treatment
of light paint before being sealed.

So, in saying that, my concern is that liming the floor might result in
overly white lines in the timber due the the sap veins and also due to
the inability to sand the "two pac" finish from these veins or cracks.
I'm also concerned that it might result in a generally distatsteful
finish. Only today I heard the comment that "it's a 90's finish"!!

I've since had another look (no digital camera, so can't take photos)
and think that I should perhaps mix a touch of white enamel paint in
with the "two pac" varnish (Wattyl 7008) to provide a lighter
consistent finish.

Any further comments?!

Cheers,