Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Problem with Warping treated posts

BobK207 wrote:
R-

I think you answered your question to me........

""Why would you assume that the designer undersized the posts? "

I didn't necessarily assume the designer undersized the posts......
designers & engineers make mistakes and contractors do sometimes cut
corners. Rather than just telling him how to straighten or replace
the posts I thought it prudent to dg a little deeper as to why they're
bowed.

I haven't seen that many bowed posts in my experience, so w/o seeing
this installation (or pictures) it seemed reasonable to ask if they
were maybe overloaded.

It could have been a boot legged install

(I know he said "my new house, maybe new to him but not new)

Also I've seen new houses (custom design & engineered) with grossly
undermized members & major deflection issues, so it does happen.

wrt to my use of COULD, I really meant "he possibly could".

I know I could (definitely) straighten them, if for no other reason but
to prove it could be done.

Hmmm, seems we have a horse race! Too bad we can't have two identical
post installations and see who's "right". I have my hunches.

but in his situation I'd make sure the member was correctly sized &
then replace the bowed posts with straight one........

quickest & cheapest way

Not having seen the situation, I can't say for sure, but you may very
well be right. As long as the post is a simple installation with a
post cap and base, it would be pretty trivial. If the installation is
more complex with a deck wrapping around the post and/or beams let into
the sides, it would obviously be much more complex to swap out.