Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jerry Foster

Default impact wrench

"habbi" wrote in message
I have what I thought was a decent quality cambell hausfeld 1/2" gun which
is rated at 380 ftlbs. All fitting are 1/4" M style and hose is 25' 3/8"

ID.
It will not remove my lug nuts from my chev 1/2 ton truck. I tried

pressures
from 90 up to 120 psi with no luck. It removed a few of them but some will
not loosen at all. I am using 1/2" drive impact sockets as well. Anyway

are
these guns over rated, it is made in Taiwan. I noticed some ingersoll rand
and even sears brands rated up to 600-700 ftlbs, is this what I need. I
tried a friends Chicago pneumatic and it would not spin the nuts either.
Also there is an Allen set screw type plug in the side of the gun and it
says oil, how do you know how much to put in? Thanks

I have a CHEAP (HF) impact wrench and am well satisfied with it. I doubt it
would stand up long under day in and day out use, but...

Anyhow, a friend brought me his van that someone had nailed the lug nuts and
he'd snapped a lug wrench trying to change a tire. The impact wrench
pounded on a few of them for a while before they came, but they all
loosened. (He then re-tightened them by hand to a more reasonable level...)

I had a lug nut on my pickup that someone probably cross-threaded and then
drove it home with an impact wrench. It wouldn't come for ANYTHING. We put
a big impact wrench on it and snapped the stud (fortunately, studs are cheap
and usually easy to replace...).

As to you question about oil, two or three drops is usually enough. If you
put in too much, it won't stay in it for long... The excess will come
spraying out the tool exhaust and usually up your sleeve, in your face or in
some other "convenient" place... Air tool oil is cheap and a properly oiled
tool is a heck of a lot more powerful than one that is dry...

Jerry