Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Tips for Rusted Gas Pipe Cap

"Smallz" wrote in message
ups.com...
Im trying to hook up a gas dryer (Electric's Motor is shot). I have a
1/2" threaded black pipe near my hot water heater thats capped off,
unfortunately, the cap is very rusty, and im worried about damaging the
pipe trying to remove it with a pipe wrench. Any tips for getting the
rusty cap off? Would I risk damage if I applied too much pressure to
it?

Is that cap on a drip leg? You still need to have one if it is.

Use the biggest wrenches you can find, slip a piece of pipe over the handle
if need be, for more leverage. Yes, it may break the cap, less likely the
pipe, but be sure to hold it steady so you don't loosen all the joints in
the run.