John B.

Default lathes for a newbie

"Zipper" wrote in message news:NJ0Wa.24152$Ho3.4351@sccrnsc03...
I was curious if anyone had any advice for a lathe for a complete newbie. I
have done a little MIG welding and I'm really enjoying metal working and
would like to continue. I've thought about getting a lathe, but I really
don't know that much about it. From looking around, I'm not really sure how
reasonable getting a lathe is since I don't have a lot of money, but I
thought I'd ask. I'm trying not to pay more the a $600 for a lathe, and I
realize this won't even buy me a decent one. Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry if this question has been asked, but this newsgroup doesn't seem to
archive.

For that amount of money you are pretty much limited to Sherline,
Taig, or the 7 x 10 lathe Harbor Freight sells.
You could fall into the deal of a life time on some used American
iron, only used to turn a marshmallow that one time - it happens all
the time! (just never happens to me).
While both the Sherline and Taig are great little machines, the HF 7 x
10 is a heavier machine with more features for about the same money
(under $400)and is pretty hard to beat. Lots of info/support on the
web. And still leaves you money for some tooling.
I started with one, and then traded it for a quick change tool set for
my next lathe, a 9 inch South Bend (I'm still kicking myself).
You'll have to clean off all the Chinese ear wax and do a little
tweeking, but if you decide to stick with machining you can always
sell it, or trade it for some tooling. - just make sure you get what
it's worth - damn it!