Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan

Default Buying new furnace & AC - questions

alix wrote:
- The Bryant guy wants to charge an extra $250 to install a Honeywell
T8600 programmable thermostat. I can buy that same model on the web
for $106. Is there any great skill/advantage to having the contractor
install it? For $250, I could buy the thermostat and have my handyman
buddy install it - *and* wallpaper my bathroom after he's done.

Are you sure you can buy a 2 stage T8600 for $106 on the web? That
sounds like the price of a single stage model.

FWIW, you should be able to negotiate that $250 down to $150. That's
what it would cost here (in Florida) for a 2-stage Chronotherm IV (or
Vision Pro) if done at the time of system installation.