Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Faulkner

Default Carpet or laminate? Which would you prefer?

In message , Neil
writes
Just gutted a house we bought and about to start doing it up to sell and
can't decided whether to go for laminate flooring throughout or carpet in
the hallway and stair case and the upstairs rooms.

Downstairs is going to be laminate regardless. Renewing all woodwork
upstairs (doors, door frames, skirting etc) so want my mind made up before
that gets done as if I go for laminate I want it done right - fitted under
skirting etc.

It's a 3 bedroom detached modern style villa in Glasgow. Enter through the
front door and have the stairs to the top floor facing you with only a short
hallway. Upstairs is 3 beds and family bathroom.

Friends and family seem split on what they think buyers would prefer and I'm
in two minds so looking for opinions here.

If i was doing the place up to stay in it myself then I'd go for laminate
throughout with heating mats but that's pricey and I'm not sure it would
make sense to do since I'm selling it. At the same time I think laminate in
bedrooms without any kind of underfloor heating could put people off.

Opinions please

Cheers,

Neil.

There is no doubt that the market has moved away from laminate in
houses, unless it the very expensive type which has a 5mm layer of real
wood as its' surface.

The property refurbishers in my area of South Manchester are now using a
neutral carpet with a decent underlay.

I buy reasonable carpet, (£8 a yard retail), from a small wholesaler for
£3 per yard, and Cloud 9 underlay off ebay suppliers for £2.60 +/- per
yard delivered.

The choice and service isnt as good at the wholesaler, but the savings
make it well worthwhile.

You may need to search quite hard for a wholesaler, but I'm sure they
will exist where you are.

--
Richard Faulkner