Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Whitton

Default Fireplace, fireback question

Hi,

When I moved into my current house it had a fireplace in the lounge. It has
the usual fancy back panel, surround etc but is missing a fireback and a
throat restricting lintel - the original brick opening (about 21-22" wide)
has been rendered up to give a nice neat rectangular hole. I would like to
install a fireback so I can burn logs/coal. I've found that firebacks come
in standard sizes of 16 and 18". However the hole in the back panel is 17
inches wide. Surely this can't be normal - if I fit a 16 inch fireback then
there will be an ugly step in from the back panel to the fireback -
similarly if I go for the 18 inch model (which may be too large overall to
fit in my brick opening) then it will step out. What I don't understand is
that if firebacks come in standard sizes then why does my back panel
apparently not match either of the standard sizes? Am I thinking about it
the wrong way?

Obviously I can use a cast iron basket with integral fireback but the
chimmney dimensions are such that most of the heat goes up the chimney - I'm
convinced that with a fire burning it actually cools the house down as so
much of the centrally heated air in the house is drawn up the chimney.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Rob