Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Default Carpet or laminate? Which would you prefer?

Alan wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote
Neil wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote...
People will probably want to put their own stuff in. Either just
clean the floors, or put on a cheap "vanilla" floor covering to
give an impression of what it'll look like "inhabited". More is
an utter waste of money.

Not sure I agree that it's an utter waste.
Although it's a 3 bed detached it's just about in the range that 1st
timers can afford. My impression nowadays is that most 1st timers
can barely afford the deposit and mortgage payments when they start
off let alone have to start worrying about finding the money to
carpet / floor the place they just got. Only talking about a
grand(ish) for the flooring / carpet for upstairs anyway.

I think you;'re right, and that your sentiments are remarkably
benevolent. Why not, if you intend to help your buyer, just
tell them that you'll give them back £1,000 in cash on exchange?

Most of the day-time house selling programs on TV recommend the bull****
factor and spending £1K can make the difference between an easy sale and
a house that stays on the market forever.

Have you been reading this thread? In that case, all he's got
to do is put down the same cheap ****e surface throughout, as
I suggested earlier. Job done. Crikey, there's talk of under-
floor heat pads, tiling out the bathroom, and loads of stuff
that is off budget/unnecessary - you don't get much for only 1K!