gradstdnt

Default Mini Lathe Bed Extention

I've actually seen a machine shope extend their
turning length capacity by setting two identical
machines in precision alignment with eachother
end for end. These were in the size of 20"x80"
machines. Little bit bigger than the mini lathe.
Same principal though. This was a hydraulic
cylinder shop so I guess the extra length was
neede on occasion.

(David Heidary) wrote in message . com...
I am going to extend the distance between centers on my mini lathe to
about 34" by bolting down another lathe bed in line with the first
one. This will allow me to put the tail stock on the end of the second
bed. Being new at this, I would appreciate any hints at:

1) How to accurately line up the beds before bolting them down on the
table?
2) How to match/test centers in head and tail stocks? Given that I can
only do cutting on the first bed. The lead screw and the rack do not
extend to the second bed.

Thanks,

David Heidary