Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Cracks in granite countertop - how serious ?

ivk wrote:
I just got installed granite countertops in the kitchen, from
pre-fabbed slabs. I noticed that one of the smaller countertops got 2
cracks, at the very corner where the bullnose meets the wall; one of
the cracks, about 1" long, is in the slab itself, the other one is in
the glued quarter-round of the bullnose.

The cracks are installer's fault (they apparently happened while he was
cutting the slab). He put some glue on them, polished (so it now looks
Ok), and thinks his job is done. My question is - should I be worried
about the cracks, and make him to replace the countertop, or these
cracks is something that happens often ?

If I understnad you, you furnished the granite. This is one of those
all too common situations where an owner provides materials to an
installer in the interest of saving some money. When a problem arises,
and the material gets damaged, the owner "knows" it was the fault of
the installers and expects them to correct it, including buying new
material. The contractor "knows" that he's working for basically
straight labor and there was no contingency amount included for faulty
materials as they're the owner's responsibility.

Basically it boils down to the owner trying to save a few bucks but
still expecting fullservice contracting. It's called wanting "to have
your cake and eat it, too."

If you want the installer to replace the granite, furnish him with some
more. He'll eat the labor and you'll eat the granite. You'll both
have learned something.