Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

Default advise on sanding alder panels.

In article .com,
"tor" wrote:

I run a small one man operation and I am looking to cut my sanding
time/displeasure.

First of all, kudos. Wonderfully clever ideas. I like to see fresh
ideas‹they're a bit rare these days.

I have had my share of sanding issues in my history. First thousands of
loudspeaker boxes (started off as a hobby business). They were mostly
made of 32nd" walnut veneers on high density particle board. They were
assembled with v-grooves and then glued with RF adhesive technology.
Then the sanding. After a long time of research and talking to a lot of
mass production types, the same answer kept popping up. Stroke sanders.

They're basically a very long belt which moves close the work under it
and then the belt is pushed down, manually, with a pad which travels on
a set of rails. That way you cover a lot of area, quickly.. and flat.
here's one example, albeit a big one:
http://www.industrial-supply-store.c...y/machine8.php
I got mine from a defunct piano factory in Rochester NY back in '88.

They're mighty versatile machines and come in a variety of sizes.... at
auctions too.

It's one of those deals: beg, borrow, whatever...just do it... you will
never regret it.

Drum sanders are not what you want. IMHO.

Respectfully,

Rob