Posted to rec.woodworking

Default advise on sanding alder panels.

Uncle Don also had a home made machine. There is one much like it in a
book. The Workshop Book by Scott Landis from Taunton press, Page 82.
It's called a stroke sander. A flat table holds material while a long
belt moves over the material, without touching it.You use paddles that
look like jointer push blocks with well waxed bottoms to apply pressure
to the back of the belt, wherever you want the sanding belt to do its
work. Does the same job as a belt sander without digging the edge in or
popping a wheelie and marring your work.Never changes direction to
cross the grain of your expensive and fancy hardwood either. I KNOW we
would all miss that! wouldn't we?

Tom in KY,it's after midnight, what am I doing up on a Friday night
writing to you guys?