Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard Holub

Default Home Made Lathe

Thanks George, I now have an idea on what to read about when searching for
these tools. I usually get catalogues from ROCKLER or WOODCRAFT but I get
overwhelmed with the large selection of tools. I guess I should pick up one
of those books that John suggested but I just don't want to buy a "wood
turning bible" that will take me forever to read. THIS IS JUST A CURIOSITY
PROJECT. If I like it I might spend some money to expand.

BDY...the lathe I am building should be able to turn a piece of wood from 4
in. to 48 in. by max.4 in. thick.

Get one of the six or eight-piece sets commonly sold. They include at
least a couple of gouges, a parting tool, a skew or two, and two or three
scrapers. I'd get the one with the most gouges and least scrapers, as the
best thing to do after the initial learning curve is to modify them into
cutting tools anyway.

"Spindle" orientation is pretty much taken care of by these, which may be
carbon steel to save dollars or high-speed which resist heat damage
better. If you turn at slower speeds, there's little need for HSS, because
there's less heat. You can always buy HSS in the tools you use most or
heat most once you figure out what they are.

For faceplate work you'll want a "bowl" gouge, which any more is a longer
and deeper flute version of what sells as a spindle gouge. I like a
broad-bottomed U versus V ground flute, some don't. Goes by the way you
cut. One is enough, because all your other tools can be used as well,
even the chintzy thin scrapers if you care to. Just keep the toolrest
tight as possible. Second rule of turning, actually. First is stand out
of harm's way.