Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cydrome Leader

Default battery question

SteveB wrote:
I ask this question here because between everyone we have the sum of human
knowledge ............

I bought some nimh rechargeable batteries and a charger for my camera. They
are AA 1.5 v. size.

When I need to test batteries, I use a pretty good Craftsman tester. On
alkaline batteries, when new, they test up to 1.6 volts. I had some of
these nimh batteries on charge for a good while on an automatic charger.
The indicator light had gone out, indicating a full charge.

I wanted to see how much they read. They read from 1.42 to 1.45 volts. Is
this normal? Do they just last longer, but don't charge up as much? I know
they last a LOT longer in my GPS, and have saved me money already in
batteries. In my radios, the nimh runs circles around alkalines or nicd for
lasting.

This is normal. NiMH and NiCd batteries are really 1.2 volts. They might be dimmer in a flashlight, but for high drain items like digital cameras, and apparently your GPS, they can and do last longer. Their capacity and voltage are lower but they last longer because they have a much lower internal resistance and are far more efficient than alkaline batteries for higher current loads.

Just curious.

Steve