Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg O

Default any quick n dirty sheetrock finishing ideas?

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to PipeDown :

Textured wall paint comes in several consistancies and can be applied
with a
roller or sponge or hopper (air gun). Most paint brands also make a
texture.

Ick. I'd rather throw open paint cans at the wall.

I hate textured finishes. Impossible to clean or repair, and messy to
repaint,
and they shed, sometimes even without touching it.

The heck you say!!
My garage is nicely taped and textured, good enough job for anyone's living
room. With a light texture you can hide the mistakes in the mud job, and it
still cleans easy enough. As far as repair, well, it is a garage. so what if
the repair don't match 100%! As far as shedding, the only problems I have
with the walls shedding the texture is where for some reason or another the
wall got and stayed wet for some time. My garage is pushing twenty years
old. A couple years ago I did a major re-paint. Before the painting I
removed any soft spots, or damaged areas in the walls, mudded them, and shot
them with texture again. It looks as good as the day it was built!

As for the OP, I would take the time to do a real mud job, tape, screw
holes, and everything, but take some time and put on 3 coats of mud. Then
when it looks just about good enough, rent, borrow, or steal a texture gun
and put a good layer of wet texture over everything. With a wet texture it
will lay down a bit and not be so rough, but still hide the mistakes in the
half-ass mud job, kind of an orange peel surface. Give it a coat of good
primer and some semi gloss white paint and you will have a garage to be
proud of!
Greg