Posted to alt.home.repair
ng_reader

Default Adding new circuit to a panel.

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Toller" wrote in message

"Unrevealed Source" wrote in message
news
"Toller" wrote in message

"ng_reader" wrote in message

"Bert Byfield" wrote in message
6...
Hi Folks, I've upgraded my electrical service to a 200 amp circuit
breaker system. I would like to add another circuit for some
additional florescent lights in my basement. I have several open
slots
for new breaker's in the panel. My question is can I buy a new
circuit
breaker and install into an open slot then run a new line to the
lights ? or do I need a professional to install new circuit's.
Thanks Dick

If you have to ask, then yes you need a professional.

Just do it. I know what you mean.

However, that large switch at the top, it's the "Main Disconnect". I
am going to suggest that you throw that in whatever the "off" position
is before you bring your cable down to the new breaker.

Believe me, I learned that the hard way!

(And no, it didn't feel any different coming down the main as it does
at any other time. Although, I'm pretty sure I was getting 240 volts,
not 120!)
And exactly how could you get 240?
By touching both sides of the mains, of course.

Well yeh, but it would be hard to do that except on purpose.

More likely touched one buss bar and the grounded cabnet but there are
plenty of spots whrere both busses are only an inch apart or less.

Actually poster #1 was right. I only touched one side, so maybe that's why
it didn't feel any different. Does it, btw?