Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant

Default Primer for new exterior stucco work. Use Cover Stain?

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 21:41:36 GMT, Norminn wrote:

an_Musicant wrote:
: On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 02:02:08 GMT, Norminn wrote:
:
:
: :The primer you select will tell you how long you can wait to paint.
: :Ours was two or three days, max.
:
: So, what's a primer for stucco that won't have to be painted for a
: while, say a couple of years? Can I use Cover Stain straight or modified
: or should I buy a different product. I have gallons of Zinsser Cover
: Stain, oil based primer. However, I'll buy a specific product if someone
: can give me an incontrovertible recommendation. Thanks, y'all.
:
: Dan
:
:The general idea is not to put on primer until you are ready to put on
aint. Primer alone does not accomplish much. Perhaps I don't
:understand your situation. The Zinsser website has all the info you can
:want, he
:http://www.zinsser.com/tech_msds.asp
:
:The info I read does not address the interval for priming and painting,
:but says you can usse any paint over your Cover Stain. If you apply
:latex over it, have to be sure it is totally set. Also, oil primer
:would have to be put on a totally dry masonry (cured, of course). I've
:used a couple of different Zinsser primers, and have had very good
:results. Lots of folks swear by them, but they aren't any good if you
:skip prep.

Correction: It was the TDB, not the MSDS (i.e. the Technical Data
Bulletin for Cover stain).
- - - -
Thanks. However, I see no mention of stucco in the MSDS PDF for Cover
Stain oil based primer. I guess I should use something else. I don't
know why, but they told me I should prime the stucco after a month. They
didn't mention paint. This was my roofer.