_

Default Diesel engines--valve adjustments

Years ago I wanted to change a Chrysler engine that I used as a work engine
from hydraulic to solid lifters and was told I would have to change the cam
shaft too. They said it had to be ground different. Just how are they
ground different?

clare @ snyder.on .ca wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:22:18 GMT, Carl Byrns
wrote:

On 25 Jul 2003 07:17:10 GMT, (Engineman1) wrote:

Several days ago I posted a query about what to look for when buying a

boat
with a diesel engine and got lots of useful advice. When looking at the

boat,
the owner said "I just had the valves adjusted" I thought "huh?

automotive
engines have had hydraluic lifters for about 50 years." The salesman

told me
that he used to be a diesel mechanic and verified that the valves had

been
adjusted. I'm not that familiar with marine engines but wonder why a

Hino
diesel would have to have adjustible valves?
Engineman1

Just about every industrial diesel uses solid lifters.
I'd be leery of any Hino engine- we have a Hino delivery truck it
takes months to get parts for it.

-Carl
"The man who has nothing worth dying for has nothing worth living for"-

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Hino parts may be difficult to get in some places, but Hino is Toyota,
so the quality is there. Hydraulic lifters are used "primarily" to
make an engine quiet. This is why most auto engines have them. They
are also lower maintenance, but MOST industrial, marine, and truck
diesels use solids.