Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

Default Milling rare earth magnet or other magnets?

"Eddie" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello,
My skills as a machinist are lacking but I usually get by with my small

mill
and lathe by taking light cuts and cracking a book when I am unsure about
cutting speed and feed rates. I would like to mill and shape a magnet. I
will be atempting this on Clausing 8520 or a light weight metal lathe.
Any advice would be very helpful.
What type of endmill would be recomended for this?
What sort of ?

Thanks,
Eddie

I have no experience with such magnets, but I'm of the opinion they will not
lend themselves to machining. Grinding may work, with the use of a silicon
carbide, CBN or diamond wheel. I can't help but think that between
hardness and abrasion, HSS wouldn't stand a chance.

It might be helpful to provide better guidance if you suggested what you
intended to do. Your mind's eye and mine likely don't see things the same
way, so I may not understand your objective.

Harold