Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Default Unusual Refrigerator Magnetic Gasket Effect.

m Ransley wrote:

Earlier my frige was running, I opened the door it was still running,
then as I closed th door the switch closed I heard a bit louder fan
sound and the vacumm effect happened, so id say its the design.

I'd make a WAG that maybe what you heard start up was the fan which
circulates the air over the evaporator coil, through the freezer, and
down into the refrigerator. IIRC some of those are wired to cut off when
the door is opened so that they won't "blow the cold air out."

And, maybe the various restrictions to the flow of that air between the
freezer and refrigerator, including sometimes a frosted up evaporator
coil, might create slightly lower than atmospheric pressure in the
refrigerator box, and maybe even a little bit higher than atmospheric
one in the freezer, huh?

I'm always startled when I crank up the timer on our bathroom exhaust
fan and notice it pulls the not quite closed bathroom door open a bit
further.

What we need now is to hear from the CE of the refrigerator division of
a major appliance manufacturer to find out if they deliberately design
in something to create a mild vacuum to help seal the door closed, or if
like ****e, it "just happens.". G

Jeff (Yes, it's snowing like heck here in Red Sox Country and I don't
have anything better to do but wonder about refrigerator doors.)

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)