Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Default Unusual Refrigerator Magnetic Gasket Effect.

For the last month or so I've noticed an odd effect with the
refrigerator door's magnetic gasket - On our top freezer GE box.

If I close the door very slowly during its last bit of closing I can
feel the magnetic gasket pulling on it through the last 1/8 inch or so
before it's fully closed. If I tug on the door immediately after it's
closed it takes what feels like a "normal" amount of force to break the
gasket free.

But, if I come back a few minutes after I've closed the door the force
required to break the gasket loose seems decidedly lower, almost like
either the magnets "got weaker" after the door closed or the door wasn't
really fully closed. Neither of which seems very likely.

I've tried the dollar bill trick all around the door and the gasket
doesn't seem to have any gaps anywhere.

Is this a "well known problem" (to everyone but me?

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia