Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Default The truth about OS/2!!! [ Why aren't computer clocks as accurate as cheap quartz watches?]

Tom MacIntyre wrote:

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 04:31:45 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell writes:

So he gives more in dollars, but a LOT less in percentage of
income or total worth.

That's not true. He has already given away perhaps 6% of his
total lifetime worth. How many ordinary people have given away
$100,000?

What about % of income above the level to comfortably sustain an
individual/family? Someone earning $50k a year giving 6% is
digging deeper than someone earning $500k giving 6%, at least
potentially.

Without question, someone giving away 6% of personal wealth that
they could not spend in 10 lifetimes is meaningless.

If I may inject some considerations. Money itself doesn't matter
except for a feeling of security. Richness doesn't necessarily mean
greedy. Possessions are a good indicator IMO. Also, time spent doing
something matters. Spending 6% of your time helping other people is
meaningful. Whether giving 6% of your income is charitable just
depends.

If I had as much money, I might never stop shopping and
get very little done.