Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

Default Non-toxic materials

wrote:
: Sounds to me like highly polished stainless steel would be the best
: option for materials. I don't know of any fiber based natural or
: man-made product that does not emit gasses at some time or another.
: Even high resin plastics release small traces of gas late in their
: product life. Have you ever noticed how plastics age and tend to yellow
: and dry out? I'm sure that the Finishing materials I use release gasses
: long after they are cured. Doesn't varnish, polyurethane, shellac, etc.
: dry to a porous finish as the gasses escape into the air?

Yes, although shellac rates tops for blocking water vapor (old FWW test)
with respect to other finishes (only a very thick wax finish -- like 1/8")
does better.

Whether this would extend to other gases, I dunno.

-- Andy Barss