Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Non-toxic materials

wrote:
http://www.player-care.com/hideglue.html

Hide glue seems like what I want to use. Lee Valley says they carry a
hide glue they call "veneer glue" in 1lb bags... I'm guessing this is
what I want?

Hide glue is made from animal protein. Do you have any trouble
with leather?

There is also liquid hide glue available at many home centers,
hardware stores etc. You would want to check the label to see
what they put into it to keep it liquid. Glycerin probably, among
other things.

Can you tolerate ethanol (grain alcohol) and/or methanol
(wood alcohol)?

You can mix your own shellac from shellac flakes using grain alcohol
sold at a liquor store, but if you can tolerate methanol then you can
mix it with the much cheaper alcohol that has been denatured with
methanol. But be sure to check the label, some denatured alcohol
is denatured with ketones.

Of course you may be sensitive to the shellac resin itself, being
nontoxic does not mean you cannot be sensitive to it.

--

FF