Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default Turning darts(dartboard type, not blowgun type)

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 16:30:56 -0500, eyeclinic
wrote:

I'd like to try and turn some single-piece darts on my lathe using some
SS rod. The turning should not be a problem but I need to know how to
cut the 4 grooves in the flight(plastic "wings") end. Any ideas?

Rich

Well Rich, it depends on what kind of tooling you have and what you
want to buy. You can mount a slitting saw in the chuck in your lathe
and a milling setup on the lathe crosslide. But I don't know what kind
of tools you have so that answer may mean little. For a cheap solution
buy a jeweler's saw. These use very fine blades. Buy a dozen-they're
cheap. Use cutting oil. Make sure the work is supported while sawing.
Make sure the saw blade thickness will work with your flights.
ERS