Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Default Carpet or laminate? Which would you prefer?

Neil wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote...
People will probably want to put their own stuff in. Either just
clean the floors, or put on a cheap "vanilla" floor covering to
give an impression of what it'll look like "inhabited". More is
an utter waste of money.

Not sure I agree that it's an utter waste.

Although it's a 3 bed detached it's just about in the range that 1st timers
can afford. My impression nowadays is that most 1st timers can barely afford
the deposit and mortgage payments when they start off let alone have to
start worrying about finding the money to carpet / floor the place they just
got. Only talking about a grand(ish) for the flooring / carpet for upstairs
anyway.

I think you;'re right, and that your sentiments are remarkably
benevolent. Why not, if you intend to help your buyer, just
tell them that you'll give them back £1,000 in cash on exchange?
Then, they can make their own flooring decision, and you don't
have to do the work.