Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich Greenberg

Default Adding new circuit to a panel.

In article ,
Jeff wrote:

At work saw the result of someone accidentally dropping a screw driver
across a 50A circuit -- lots of splattered metal no one hurt. I am sure
lots of folks have other stories. Personally prefer electrical work to
using a chain saw, especially up in a tree.

Many moons ago while I was an EE student I was in a lab which had 3
phase 440 coming out to a test panel. The panel had U shaped channels
of thick sheet metal that was HOT and the wires we connected to them
were half inch brass rods with an insulated handle and a slot that went
on to the panel terminals. Some of the wires were heavy wire (probably
#8 or 10 ISTR), and some were #16 that were intended to connect to
instruments.

Not the safest arrangement, but part of the course was to teach us
respect for the power. The breakers protecting these panels were large,
probably 50-100 amps.

One day in lab I was setting up the experiment de jure there was a
BRIGHT flash and a LOUD bang from behind me. I turned around and there
was a cloud of smoke rising from a bench and the student clawing for the
breakers (which had not tripped). This guy had clipped a length of the
#16 wire across a 440 live circut. All that was left was the two end
clips.