Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

Default Adding new circuit to a panel.

I was changing an outdoor light bulb about 5 feet off the ground on my
previous house. It was summer and I was barefoot -- yeah should have known
better. Previous owner had confused black and white. He had the switch
break the white lead and had the black wired to the screw thread part of the
light socket. Moisture on the bulb provided a connection from the threads
to me. Afterwards had to redo a bunch of his electrical work. First thing
I learned about wiring was BLACK to BRASS.

At work saw the result of someone accidentally dropping a screw driver
across a 50A circuit -- lots of splattered metal no one hurt. I am sure
lots of folks have other stories. Personally prefer electrical work to
using a chain saw, especially up in a tree.

"chocolatemalt" wrote in message
In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Yes, the dangerous part about electricity is that at line voltage levels
you can't see, hear or smell it. And if you chance to feel it, it may
just bite you or make you jump enough to bash yourself on something
sharp.

I've been surprised to discover how innocuous 120V is -- just an
unpleasant tingling, aside from the initial contact which is moot anyway
if a screwdriver does the job. What is disturbing is the thought that
you are flirting with death despite the unremarkable sensation.

Then again, I still remember the words of a middle aged Brit prof back
in my college daze circa 1954 who tought a course I was taking called
"Rotating Machinery" (All about electric motors, generators and stuff
like that.) We were working with three phase 440 volt equipment when he
told us, "You smen will never be good electrical engineers until you
learn to 'take' a shock!" G

Jeff

That scares up the question: How many shocks have you electrician (and
EE) types encountered in your careers? And how many arm-to-arm (i.e.
across the heart) shocks, which seem inevitable given the ease of using
some conducting metallic box with the non-working arm to give support?