Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default Primer for new exterior stucco work. Use Cover Stain?

clipped

The condo board _limited_ the number of coats you could put on to
_one_?! You have a very, very stupid condo board. The finish coat
is the wear coating, the primer is a bonding coat. You would have
gotten much more life out of the two coats.

Small condo assn, even split. One owner, the deadbeat, owns three
units. His control freak pal runs the show, with his total support.
Together they had half the votes. The deadbeat owned a million-dollar
sailboat, has a new home in Bahamas, and probably owns a couple code
enforcement people. And they play hardball. Now, back to your
question, two coats cost more so they took the least expensive. Hubby
and I interviewed contractors and I knew in about 15 seconds I wanted to
do business with the guy, who also turned out to be low bidder ) The
previous paint job, put on without pressure washing or cleaning of any
kind, was peeling in sheets. Whomever did the small amount of caulking
put caulk around the outside of window screens that had been screwed on
) The responsible owners were long a minority to trust fund babies
and their boozer kids ran the show. Our one coat of prime and one coat
of paint was done by Professionals who knew how to paint and gave a
damn. Hubby and I invented a system for capturing all the peeling paint
we knew would make a horrendous mess when the building was pressure
washed. Even impressed the contractor. Also involved the paint
company, as they inspected the prep as part of the warranty process. It
took a while, but if the place looks tacky, new buyers will be hard to
come by. The "in crowd" can get their friends interested. Only one
owner is really interested in living here long term. Rest are waiting
for someone who wants the land. Police have a nasty habit of
threatening victims, so you have to watch your p's and q's. )