Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare

Default Kitchen Worktops

"alexbartman" wrote in message

About to embark on my rennovation of the kitchen. Have got estimates
for laminate, Corian (and similar) and granite worktops......the only
remotely affordable medium is Laminate.

I want to use a high gloss black finish - but have been warned about
the tendency that it will show every single scratch and blemish - and
it is a working kitchen after all....
I have two linked questions.....is there a major difference between the
manufacturers of Laminate worktops - the prices from several places
(including B&Q who are just about the cheapest - not by much though)
are roughly the same - what should I look for? And does anyone have
any experience of installing the high gloss laminate finishes - should
I steer clear - any advice/recommendations gratefully received....

One difference is the way the front edge is formed. For example the Magnet ones
have a drip rail/edge.

I got put off Corian when the salesman mentioned that one of his customers had
decided to replace their car instead. Ten times the price for something that
could be damaged by a hot pan/oven dish!

--

Michael Chare