Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare

Default How much weight could my garage roof joists carry?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a detached double garage, which was built about 6 years ago by
McAlpine.

I want to rig up a 'chain block' to do some lifting.. I am only
planning to lift a max of 200kgs and wonder if my joists will take this
kind of load.

The plan I had was to put a bar along a number of joists (Probably 4),
to spread the load a little.

Would this be safe?

If it is a car engine I would suggest having vertical pillars either side of the
car and spreading the load over 3-4 joists - assuming that these run across the
garage. Another option is if you have a wood lintel at the front of the garage.
(I have done both in my time - 4 cylinder petrol engine with gearbox.)

--

Michael Chare