Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default GMB Union

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Now we get a break every 6 hours regardless. And a minimum overnight break
of 11 hours. And a maximum 48 hour week.

Hmmm...

But surely if you are freelance, you are self employed and thus the
Working Time Regulations don't apply........

If we could decide when we 'arrived at work and left', yes. But we don't.

Easier regarded as temporary employees.

It seems to me also that this type of legislation is focussing on the
wrong thing - i.e. a fixed time for work rather than what is required
to get the job done and then payment for achieving that.

That's indeed what the bosses would love - with total disregard to the H&S
of those in their 'employ'.

A "one size fits all" approach regardless of industry and the work
rate behaviour of an individual really doesn't seem to me to achieve
anything other than slowing down rates of achievement all the way
round. Some people take longer than others to achieve a given
objective, so operating it all by a stop watch doesn't ultimately
achieve a satisfactory outcome for anybody.

In a team or crew - as in my work - everyone has to work to a common
schedule.

I don't see the need for an external organisation to be required to
agree payment and working conditions with an employer. That should be
a matter between the individual and the employer.

Fine in theory. But in practice it was a take it or leave it situation
with no negotiation possible by an individual, since that individual was
easily replaced. Not so the entire workforce.

--
*Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.